Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Woman

Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, "Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." Luke 21:1-3

I've known this story for many years, but as I read this story this time, I feel like I am finally getting the point.I have been stuck on the fact that she gave more because she gave out of poverty, so it's been the same story for me time and time again. This time reading it, however, I asked why she gave those coins when that is all she had to live on and wondered how she could do that? 

In my mind's eye, I saw her give because... she loved. She was so overwhelmed with love for God wanted to give Him something to express her love and appreciation. She was simply so happy that she at least had something to give Him! Do you think this could have been her motivation? 

If she was motivated by love because she knew God's love for her - then how she could do it makes sense.

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. 1 John 4:18a

She wasn't afraid and might not even have had one thought about her personal welfare. Jesus is the one who points out that these small copper coins were "all she had to live on." Isn't it interesting that Jesus is the one who sees her and brings her to the attention of the disciples - and to our attention? Jesus saw her act of love. 

The story ends there, but do you think that Jesus walked away then and that was that? If we recall what God says about himself in His Word, what do you think He did for her? Did He provide for her? Did He bless her?

I like this woman. I want to meet her one day. But for now, I want to be like her. She was a widow. That means her husband had died, and she knew pain and sorrow. She was poor. And yet, she LOVED God and had a grateful heart. I want to be like that.

"Father God, I want to love you like this precious woman. I know that I won't be able to though, unless You continue to reveal who you really are so that I will love you more fully. Grow that love so that I don't have fear or reservations. Grow that love so that I trust you like she did. Thank you for sharing that story with us so that we know that you are totally aware of who we are, you're aware of our situations, and you know our hearts.  And you even honour us. That's hard to comprehend. You are amazing and are so worthy of our praise."

No comments:

Post a Comment