Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Another little bit about paths...

(Interestingly, I had thought about writing this blog before I read Amity's blog from Friday. How often our paths cross!)

After a particularly trying day at work last week, God led me to Psalm 139 where he encouraged me with his love by reminding me that he not only knows everything about me, where I go, what I do, what I say, but that he knows it all beforehand, and that my days, every one of them - good and bad - were formed for me before they happened. His hand leads me and his right hand holds me. And like David, I say, "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it." Which means for me - it is too wonderful for me to fully grasp. And I also say with him, "Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." My soul knows it very well. I have received abundantly the benefits of his wonderful works.

The last 2 verses are a prayer, I believe, for God to continue his work, to keep doing what he does as proclaimed in the preceding 22 verses. "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!"

"The way everlasting" can also be translated, "the ancient way". David prays, "lead me in the ancient way!"

Jeremiah 6:16 let's us know what that is:

Thus says the LORD:"Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.

David is asking to be lead in the way that is good, the paths of righteousness that he is familiar with as revealed in Psalm 23. The places of rest. He talks to himself about it also in Psalm 116:7, Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

It is God's desire for us that our souls will find rest, peace. Jesus said it, too: Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:29

The paths for our feet should lead us into rest for our souls. As Amity encouraged us to do, let's ponder our paths, be fully aware of them, and walk in the light. Knowing that the paths God leads us down will lead us to rest, contentment, and joy. That we may say, "Wonderful are your works, O God. My soul knows it very well."

No comments:

Post a Comment