Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Jesus Coat

(This post has been re-cycled from December 2008)

A few years ago I was invited to several "fancy" events that just so happened to be in the middle of winter.

I'm typically a jeans girl, but I must admit...I do get that nervous excitement of dressing up on the rare occasion that sends me back to that same girly sensation of getting ready for the senior prom.

The first event was an elegant evening wedding. I went shopping and bought an appropriate dress and shoes for the occasion. How fun. I had not, thought ahead, however, to what coat I might wear that would suit such pretty attire. I did not think of the coat at all, actually...until a couple of hours before we were supposed to leave for the wedding when I noticed it was freezing outside!

Out of time and not wanting to spend a lot of money on a coat that I would only wear a couple of times a year...I called my girlfriend and asked if she had anything I could borrow that would look okay with my elegant dress and shoes. She said she'd bring me something when her and her husband picked us up to go to the wedding. When she arrived...I tried on all of my coats, plus her coat that she had brought for me, to see what looked best. We decided that her coat was the best of the options and so I put it on and we went to the wedding. The only problem was that the sleeves were seriously about 5 inches too long and no matter how we tried to fix the sleeves...it just looked a little funny. I wasn't too worried though because I thought that I would just take the coat off as soon as we got there. It would be fine.

Well....something wasn't quite right with the heat and it was freezing in there. I tried to take the coat off, but every time, I was miserably cold. There I was...a woman...dressed like a princess...but feeling like a little girl...playing dress up in her Mama's coat. We laughed a lot that night and eventually I got warmer....and we had fun. But I told Jesus....that I had at least 2 more fancy events to go to and that it really would be nice if I had a nice dress coat to wear.

Sometime later....my sister and I were out "treasure hunting".....(browsing around in thrift stores)...not looking for anything in particular....when I saw it there on the rack....

A beautiful...chocolate brown, faux fur, vintage, full length coat in mint condition and it was just my size....I trembled with excitement as I took it off the rack...it was so heavy and beautiful...I couldn't believe it.....this time....I felt like Lucy from Narnia as I put it on....

I couldn't stop smiling as I found my sister to show her my treasure...."Jesus totally loves me," I told her, "this coat is from Him." And I knew it...with all my heart.

I hadn't grown up with a lot....and I had experienced Jesus providing huge needs in my life...but this wasn't one of those times....this was simply...My heavenly Daddy showing his little girl that He loved her....it wasn't a need....just a petty little desire....but I had shared my heart with Him and He had shared His with me.

I love that coat! I feel like a million dollars when I put it on....It is my Jesus coat.

What ever your needs are....share them with Jesus....give Him your heart and ask Him what His love looks like for you today....

Philippians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment