Wednesday, February 3, 2010

An Extreme Home Make-Over

I'm sure most of you have seen the show. I can't even watch it without crying it seems...every time! Some family devastated by a tragedy of some sort, gets chosen to have their home completely made-over more wonderfully than they could ever imagine. I just can't help it....when the bus pulls away and they start screaming and crying, and running from room to room, blown away with gratefulness...I just start crying too.

Each one of us has been devastated by sin and hurts and pain in this life. But when we invite Jesus into our life....He comes and does more than an extreme make over. He moves in to our heart and builds in us a home that will last forever and never become outdated. His Spirit comes to live inside of us and can change us completely from the inside out! It is definitely an extreme home make-over.

1 Corinthians 6:19
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?

My young daughter and I were talking about the Holy Spirit the other night. She had heard me praying and inviting the Holy Spirit to speak to us, guide us and reveal more of God's truth to us. She wanted to know why I was inviting the Holy Spirit to teach us when He already lives inside of us. While I was thinking of how to explain it. The Holy Spirit himself spoke to her.

As we laid on our backs in her bed looking up at the dark ceiling...she answered her own question in a very matter of fact manner. "It's like the Holy Spirit already lives in the house, but when you invite Him to teach you, its like asking Him to come sit next to you."
"Yes, my daughter," I replied. And the truth was revealed to a child. I have heard that Augustine once said that the Gospel is deep enough for an elephant to swim and shallow enough for a child not to drown. I find that breathtakingly true.

Holy Spirit continue your work. Jesus, don't stop the renovations of my heart! Heal my hurts, build in me your grace and truth. I give you every room and every closet to clean out and remodel. Let your sweet freedom transform all of the old into the new. Thank you, Jesus.

Ephesians 3:14-19
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment