Saturday, March 19, 2011

Back to Your First Love

This weekend I was at a youth retreat and was really challenged by an idea the speaker talked about: returning to your first love. The speaker talked a lot about love the entire weekend... love between husband and wife, loving others, God's love... but the thing that impacted me the most is that God is calling us back to Himself, our first love. I got to feel God bringing me back to Him... after having been distracted so long with life and all its craziness. There was one worship song we sang quite a few times, and every time we sang it, I was touched deeply.


"He is jealous for me
Loves like a hurricane
I am a tree bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy

All of sudden, I am unaware
Of these afflictions eclipsed by glory
And I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me

Oh, how He loves us so
Oh how He loves us
How He loves us so"

Singing over and over about how much God loves me made me realize how much I've lacked in loving Him. And I wanted so much to come back to Him, back to having Him as the centre, the love of my life. The greatest part is that He never stops pursuing us. We just don't always recognize that He is.

I know I'll fall and mess up again, and I'll have to come crawling back to Him after I get over my own pride. But the promise of that song gives me an amazing hope. Hope that no matter what, I will always be able to come back to my first love. Jesus will always take me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment