Thursday, March 24, 2011

Keeping Peace

The Lord is my strength and my song.  His Light puts away all darkness.
In Him is life.


In the shadows of my mind...I hold fast to what I know is true.  My God is Faithful.


His Hope is Eternal.


His Love is Everlasting.


His Joy is Miraculous.  The Joy of the Lord is my strength. (Nehemiah 8:10b)


I sit quiet...the sun sets on a beautiful day...I hear the clock's gentle motion as the minutes pass...


"What is Peace?" I think to myself.  Is it this....strength in the moment.  Knowing...that He is Faithful when I can't "see" Him working the way I ask him to, want him to or imagine him to?


Discouragement knocks at my door.   She's in her party dress.  I want to let her in.  I stand at the door talking to her instead.  Should have never even opened the door.


Wisdom peeks around the corner and comes down the stairs.  "What are you doing?" she says.


Sheepishly, I turn around...Discouragement knows she's uninvited and it's an awkward moment...her foot is in the door and she looks annoyed, impatient.  I feel torn.  It would just be easier to let her in.


Wisdom puts her hand on my shoulder and looks into my eyes....her voice is gentle, but strong, unwavering...


"...but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31)

I'm tired of waiting.  Discouragement seems like good company at first but Wisdom is the dearest of Friends...I trust her.   I die to myself to shut the door.


"He is Faithful," I say aloud.  She nods.  The waiting is hard.  


"I trust Him."  I say this a little louder.  The waiting is still hard but I feel a little stronger.


An old song that I haven't sung in what feels like decades, pops into my mind....It's tune begins to humm an old memory...it's like the warm comfort of a nightlight when you wake in sudden darkness...



Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives. 


What can I do but wait for the Lord?  



His Hope is Eternal.

His Love is Everlasting.

His Joy is Miraculous.  

His Grace knows no bounds.

His Faithfulness....is my very reason for waiting for Him.  

This is Peace.

(Song: Because He Lives by Bill Gaither)

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love this post, Julie! You have crafted beautiful imagery to portray the struggle we often encounter to have our heart and mind resting in His peace once again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete