Friday, January 30, 2009

What's in Your Heart?

We were on a two week family vacation when I was in ninth grade. This poem was framed and hanging on the bathroom wall by the toilet. Years later I still had it in my mind and decided to cross-stitch the poem. It’s a good poem to think on.

A few years ago God clearly spoke to me through Zechariah 7:10
… In your hearts do not think evil of each other.

Ouch! But, you know what? When I read this verse there was this deep conviction and I sensed God calling me in this. Not condemning me, but inviting me to be aware of what my thoughts were towards others. To recognized those negative thoughts aimed at my husband, children, family members, friends, strangers.

I began to ask God, “Why am I thinking evil of this person? Why am I nursing this grudge or why am I bitter about that? What am I believing that holds me in negative thoughts when I am called to think differently?" He shows me and leads me into truth. It's an ongoing process, and one I delight in walking with Him because He is so gracious and loving.

“…whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].” Philippians 4:8 (Amplified Bible)

My prayer is that I would operate out of an attitude of thankfulness and praise to God. If my heart is full with recognizing God’s goodness, love, and the grace He showers on me each day, those negative or evil thoughts won’t have the ground to take root in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate how well you share your faith, especially through scripture! Since you just so happen to enjoy cross stitching, it would be an honor is you visited my web site. I design cross stitch patterns with Bible verses. There is a new free design called "His name is Jesus", that has blessed many.

    http://www.joyfulexpressions.us

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these timely words. I have made many mistakes in the past in misjudging someone's heart and with my negative and critical thoughts and have some sad regrets. I will STILL make mistakes but I'd far rather err on the side of generosity and grace than on the side of criticism and judgment. With no regrets . . .

    ReplyDelete