Friday, May 8, 2009

Be Happy!

This is the day that the LORD has made
Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

I remember back to when I was young and first married. One day as my husband kissed me goodbye as he went off to work before I did, he said, "Have a good day."
"How can I have a good day when I'm not happy," I responded with a frown.
"Be happy," he replied.
"Humph, 'be happy.' I'm not happy." I muttered.
Then he said something I had never considered, "Choose to be happy."
Shaking my head at his naivety, I informed him, "You can't just choose to be happy. You either are or you're not. You can't help what you feel!"

He left for work, and I was left thinking. Could I simply choose to be happy? What about my feelings. Do I just pretend to be happy... deny my feelings?

If I wasn't happy about my circumstances, I wasn't happy. I've learned over the years though, that it's about so much more than the temporary, in my face, about me and my wishes circumstances. If that's what it were about, yes, we'd have most days or greater parts of each day being down. But life is about God, His purposes, His love for us, His goodness, His glory, and our hope of glory... all the eternal things that are sure. And since this is true, we have every reason to be happy... to rejoice!

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Philippians 4:4

Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous;
sing all you who are upright in heart!
Psalm 32:11

And for those who feel they can't sing the ESV says it the following way:

Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous,
and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!
Psalm 32:11

Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!
1 Chronicles 16:10

Life is a whole lot more fun when approached with a joyful spirit and a thankful heart. God is good!

Be happy...and smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment