Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A new mind, please.

Yesterday....my mind was causing me alot of trouble.  If I could have gone to IKEA and bought a new one... I would've.  I love IKEA...everything seems so simple, new and fresh there. 

Anyway....money can't buy you a new mind.    

So,  I am in the life-long process of 'renewing' my mind, which is exactly what Jesus prescribes for a mind that is causing us trouble, which in my case, seems to happen alot.

I have learned that pretty much everything I do or say, begins with a thought that starts in my mind.  If my thoughts aren't based on truth or what is good and right...you can usually count on my emotions, attitudes and actions following in the same direction. 

Romans 12:2 says
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

But what does that look like?  How do we become transformed by the renewing of our minds?

Without writing a book here, the simplest way I think about it is this:

Out with the old...and in with the truth!

We've 'renewed' alot of things in my life.  Currently, we are renewing an old tent trailer we bought on Craigslist.  For its age...its in pretty good shape...structurally, everything is fine, but it needs a good cleaning...some of the older things in it need to be pulled out and some new things need to be put in.

Don't let your mind think whatever it wants to.  Listen to your thoughts, write down what you hear.  If what you hear in your head doesn't line up with God's truth....if it's not good and right, confess it and get rid of it, and then replace it with his truth.  Write out a bible verse that relates to what you are battling in your mind and carry it with you or post it all around your house...meditate on those words instead, say them out loud and pray the words from the verse asking God to renew your mind and believe Him to do it.

Philippians 4:8 says
Finally, brothers, (or sisters) whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Let us seek the Lord daily to renew our minds....believe me, its worth it.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Don't allow your mind to listen to lies....Seek the truth.

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth, will set you free." 
 John 8:32

No comments:

Post a Comment