Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Today, I am thinking about sounds. Not just all the differing sounds that greet our ears everyday, but the way sounds influence us, particularly our emotions. Sounds can arouse anger (kids fighting), frustration (snoring in your ear when all you want to do is sleep), curiosity (an unexpected doorbell), anticipation (gurgling coffee maker or boiling kettle), happiness (laughter in your house). They can cause us to be sad, embarrased, afraid, excited, thankful. Sounds can rile us up or calm us down. Sounds that are agreeable to some may be obnoxious to others. Sounds can trigger the remembering of past experiences, painful or pleasant.

Interesting. We are feafully and wonderfully made.

This thinking all started this morning wih the sweet sound of singing I heard coming up the stairs from my daughter below as she got ready for work. "I sing for joy at the work of your hands. Forever I'll love you. Forever I'll stand. Nothing compares to the promise I have in you." It roused in me delight, thanksgiving, and a desire to worship along with her. I thought of sounds I never tire of hearing - smooching lips, whispered I Love Yous, the word "Mom", the key in the door as my people come home, laughter, the name "Jesus", the gentle crunch of my duvet as I settle in for a night's sleep.

But there's a sound that I can hardly wait to hear. One that stirs my heart just to imagine it. One that I've never heard before and don't know when I will. This sound will be the only thing that matters at the time.

"For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord." 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17


What will his command be? What does the voice of an archangel sound like? And the trumpet? I believe it will be unmistakeable to those of us who are waiting to hear it. What emotions will this sound arouse? I anticpate thrilling excitement, deepest joy, overwhelming amazement, pure wonder "...when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed." 2 Thessalonians 1:10

Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment