Tuesday, November 17, 2009

But we will not boast beyond limits, but will boast only with regard to the area of influence God assigned to us, to reach even to you. 2 Corinthians 10:13

In this passage, the apostle, Paul, is reminding the Corinthian church that he and the other apostles will not boast about work that they have not done, but will indeed be bold to reach them because God had assigned them to reach them. They were supposed to have influence over them. God had given to them the Corinthian church as their area of influence.

One morning, as I was doing the morning rush and getting ready to go to my new job, I wanted to connect with God, but didn't have a lot of time. I asked him what I should read in his word that he wanted me to know for the day. 2 Corinthians 10 came to mind. As I read the chapter, anticipating God's word to me, I knew the minute I read it that the 13th verse was what he wanted me to know. He had given me this new area of influence. God assignd me to that place and those people. He is going to use me to influence them, to reach them. Wow! And I know that it will be his work through me, which takes the pressure off of me to try to make things happen, but it also gives me permission to be bold. Bold to encourage. Bold to love. Bold in my prayers for them. Confident, even when it seems I'll never learn it all, that I am where I am supposed to be. I will be me, and they will be influenced for God. Oh Lord, that's what I want. Thank you.

Now, God has assigned to each of us an area or areas of influence. You have your own places and people that will be responsive to you. Who you are matters in your homes, in your work place, wherever you are consistently with the same people. And it is no accident that you are where you are. God has chosen you for your areas of influence, because it is only you who is who you are and who is able to do what you do the way you do it. Your assignment is not meant to be a burden but a confidence that you are where you are for a reason and that he has put people into your life because they will respond to you.

Where are your areas of influence? Where is it that it matters who you are and what you can do? Who are the people God has given you permission to have influence with? If you don't know or aren't sure, ask him.

Lord, we offer ourselves to your service and accept our assignments to our areas of influence. We offer the members of our bodies as instruments of righteousness - our faces, our lips, our ears, our arms, our legs. We belong to you and will trust that through us, you will draw others to yourself. May we count it a delightful privilege!

2 comments:

  1. You spoke exactly what is on my heart as I make my way through the fog in my life.... Thanks for what you wrote. I felt like it was written just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome. I am pleased that you were encouraged by what I wrote. Thank you for your comment. Another indication that our God loves us and hears our prayers!

    ReplyDelete