Friday, November 20, 2009

Stubborn as a...

How would you finish this sentence? Stubborn as a ________. What came to your mind?

I was captivated by something I read the other day that I'd like to explore with you today.

"The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock.

Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.
Exodus 34:18-20a

A bit of history here.
"The Lord said to Moses, "When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.

Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the Lord says: Israel is my firstborn son, and I told you, "Let my son go, so he may worship me." But you refused to let him go; so I will kill your firstborn son.' "
Exodus 4:21-23

And that's what happened. All the Egyptian firstborn males of man and animal were killed. Meanwhile, the Israelites, who were in their homes with their door frames marked with the blood of the lamb or goat that they eaten together that evening, were spared.

So, I get why the firstborn belong to the Lord, but what's with the firstborn donkey being redeemed with a lamb when all the other unclean animals - and even the firstborn sons! - were supposed to be redeemed with five shekels of silver?

"...But you must redeem every firstborn son and every firstborn male of unclean animals. When they are a month old, you must redeem them at the redemption price set at five shekels of silver,..." Numbers 18:15-17

Except for the firstborn of the donkey, of course. This particular animal needs to be redeemed by a lamb. I find that a curious distinction. Don't you? Odd perhaps, but are you beginning to see a picture here?

How often did God say of the Israelites that they were a stiff-necked people? I counted 19 in one concordance. Stiff-necked; stubborn. Stubborn as a donkey or mule. Intent on going their own way. They heard that once, they heard it twice...and many more times through the prophets.

And the unclean part? The law was filled with distinctions between the clean and the unclean. The people were forever needing to be cleansed because something had made them unclean. They were very well aware of what made them unclean, and they knew the rituals they needed to perform to make them clean again.

So here we have a firstborn donkey with the very distinct - and only option - for being redeemed. No lamb? No redemption. Either a lamb or death. Ironic method of death for this stiff-necked animal, don't you think? What was it again? Break its neck.

Through this anomalous law, God gives the people and us a picture of His redemption plan. The redemption of mankind would be through the Lamb of God. God has provided the way to be saved from sin and death. God has made it possible for us to be made clean; for us to be made holy and acceptable before Him.

A choice could be made. Was this animal worth being redeemed by a lamb? Or should the opposite be done - to abandon it, for its life was not worth it?

Beloved, God saw you and said "yes" to you. You are my creation. I will redeem you. I will give My Firstborn and Only Son...for you, to redeem you - to buy you back - from the captivity of sin and death, so you will be mine.

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob,[O _______, (put your own name in here)] he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1

Christ gave His life to redeem you. He chose to offer up His life for you. He said "yes" to you. You are worth it. Have you said "yes" to Him and received his redemption? Have you given Him your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment