Friday, November 27, 2009

Dearly loved children

This morning I had the sweet privilege of having a peek at the hidden life of my pre-born grand baby. The first thing I saw was the heart...beating away indicating life and strength. Then we saw his or her wide mouth and little nose...the beautifully shaped head, the spine, both legs with knees, the arms crossed in the shape of an X, and a relaxed hand with fingers slightly curled. Aah...so very precious.

The ultrasound appointment had been delayed for an hour, so I took my grandson to a craft store and a hardware store in the meantime. Busy shoppers stopped to interact, smile and chat with us. No one seemed in a hurry. They all had time to watch my grandson's animated expressions over the little plastic Santa plane this Grandma had said we could buy. Back at the x-ray lab, the waiting room was full of lively chatter with the grandchildren as the focus.

What is it about little kids that cause women, gruff-looking men, teen boys and young girls to pause, soften their features and interact with strangers? Maybe it's the innocence and sense of wonder a child carries, or the laugh that accompanies the simplest of pleasures. Or is it the freedom of learning and discovery without nearly having perfected the skill or acquired the knowledge. Open, honest, no pretense, unhindered in being.

I thought about all this as I drove home. If that is how people soften and respond to children, how much more do You, our perfect Heavenly Father, look toward us - your creation and your children - with love and favour!

Proverbs 8 - Wisdom is speaking here:

32 Then I was the craftsman at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
rejoicing always in his presence,

31 rejoicing in his whole world
and delighting in mankind.

32 "Now then, my sons, listen to me;
blessed are those who keep my ways.

33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
do not ignore it.

34 Blessed is the man who listens to me,
watching daily at my doors,
waiting at my doorway.

35 For whoever finds me finds life
and receives favor from the LORD.


36 But whoever fails to find me harms himself;
all who hate me love death."

If you belong to Jesus, you belong to the Father. He sees you and knows you. He is attentive to you, and His look is one of love and favour. Keep remembering this: He looks at you with love and favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment