Wednesday, November 25, 2009

If feels too early to be up. I'm sitting in front of my fireplace with a cup of tea...all is dark and quiet except for the cat who saunters here and there to let me know that she also is up and the warm light from my Christmas tree illuminating the room.

Part of me wishes that I was still in bed...but the other part of me feels so glad to have gotten up to have this peaceful and refreshing time with Jesus before the rest of the house wakes and the day begins full swing.

I've been meditating on some words that the Lord gave me for several days now. They're not new. I've read them many times before. But they seem fresh to me...alive...full of encouragement and inspiration.

2 Peter 1:2-11

Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;

and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;

and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The ESV says it this way in verse 10: Therefore brothers, (or sisters) be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

Lord, show me what it looks like today to practice my faith, to practice goodness, to practice 'knowing you', to practice self-control, to practice perseverence, to practice godliness, to practice kindness and to practice love. Help me to start with my family before I even try to practice those things with anyone else.

By the Name of Jesus and through the power of the Holy Spirit...I claim these qualities once again as mine.

1 comment: