Friday, October 29, 2010

An Exercise for You

A couple of weeks ago, Dianne shared A Personal Psalm and I shared Words in My Heart.  We had been at a retreat where we were given an interesting exercise to invite God to inspire us to write a psalm or song of praise to Him. After this exercise we got back together as a group and shared our songs or psalms with each other. 

As each person shared, their words were accompanied with surprisingly deep emotion. These weren't just pretty poems, but were heart-felt expressions born out of a profound encounter with God during this exercise. As we looked at what we had written, a good number of us felt that what we had written went beyond our own thoughts or writing skills. God had met us personally and was speaking to our hearts as we wrote. Beautiful experience in the end, but a bit intimidating when we heard that this was to be our assignment!

What do you think? Do you want to give this a try this week? God has inspired many a human pen throughout history. He can inspire you to write a song/poem/psalm too. 

I'm often encouraged by the story of Balaam and his donkey and how God opened the mouth of the donkey to speak to his master.  I figure if God can get a donkey to speak, He certainly can move me to do what He wants me to do! The question is, "Am I willing to let Him move me?"

Father, I pray that you would make an opportunity possible for those who read this post to write a song or poem or personal psalm expressing their hearts. May it be a sweet time with You. May this exercise be something that draws them deeper in love with You. I ask this for Your Glory.

(If you're willing, it would be cool if you'd share what you wrote as a comment below. You can do it "anonymous" if you prefer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment