Monday, January 31, 2011

In God Alone...

I've been thinking a lot about unconditional love over the past few days. This type of love would be called, "agape love." One reference I read said it was, "intelligent, purposeful and active; and is expressed by doing that which results in the highest good for the person loved, without expecting anything in return."

When I consider what that means... I realize that I fall pretty short of "agape love." In our human nature, it is so easy to expect love, affection and appreciation from the ones we give it to. But, how many times has God answered our prayers and we failed to show our appreciation. Or, just sort of mentally said "Whew!" We made it through that one! And yet, how many times have I been hurt when those I loved failed to see the sacrifice I had made for them and became resentful because I expected something I did not get.

God keeps on loving us... He doesn't remove his affection like we do... He doesn't become sullen and dwell on why He hasn't heard from us... He doesn't try to figure out what His next step is.

God is... "Grace and mercy, truth and purity, full of loving kindness, forgiving, light in darkness, righteous, just, faithful, holy and blameless. There are not enough words to describe what a wonderful and loving God we have!

I struggle with myself sometimes because I want that "agape' love in my life. But I get caught up in the flesh, wanting to be appreciated or acknowledged. Not all the time, but it does show up when I least expect it. I am glad that I can tell all of that to God though and He doesn't condemn me or reject me. I love His Scripture because it encourages me more than anything else. Psalm 66 tells us...

"Come and listen; all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me. I cried out to Him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!

God does not withhold His love from us! If we confess to Him our weaknesses, our sins... He is so eager to forgive us and lead us in the right direction. If we rely on anything other than His love, guidance and direction... we will always be disappointed in this life.

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him." Psalm 62:5

No comments:

Post a Comment