Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Voice of the Lord

I was reading in Psalms the other day, and found a really cool passage in Psalm 29:3-9.

3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.
4 The voice of the LORD is powerful;
the voice of the LORD is majestic.
5 The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars;
the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He makes Lebanon leap like a calf,
Sirion like a young wild ox.
7 The voice of the LORD strikes
with flashes of lightning.
8 The voice of the LORD shakes the desert;
the LORD shakes the Desert of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the LORD twists the oaks
and strips the forests bare.
And in his temple all cry, “Glory!”

As you can see, the part that stuck out to me was the voice of the Lord, and how amazingly powerful it is. It thunders, it creates lightning, it shakes the desert, it is majestic... you'd think I was talking about a huge storm or something. God's voice is so powerful that creation came to be by just Him speaking.

9
For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm.
(Psalm 33:9)

That is INSANE! And then I thought of something else. That same voice, the awesome voice that created everything, speaks to me in the quiet places of my heart. It whispers words of encouragement or challenge, it blesses me and teaches me. It just amazes me that God would choose to take His booming, thundering voice, and shrink it down to a whisper so we can hear Him in our hearts. It makes me realize that He really does love us. The God of the Universe speaks to each and every one of us. That just blows my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment