Friday, October 30, 2009

The Bride and the Bridegroom

I remember it well - my wedding day. The photographer was at our house taking pictures as my bridesmaids and I were getting ready for the big day. I remember the excitement of doing my hair. I remember the flash of the camera as my mom arranged the veil on my head. I was the bride. The pulse of my heartbeat began to increase in anticipation. We had arranged for the groom - my husband...oh that sounded sweet! - and the groomsmen to pick me and my bridesmaids up after they were finished washing and decorating the cars, and getting themselves dressed and ready.

The most memorable moment of that day took place after we had finished taking all of the indoor and outdoor pictures. The girls and I had come back into the house for refreshments. I had taken a sip or two from the cold glass of orange juice I held in my hand as I stood in the kitchen. That's when I heard the honking in the distance. My heart skipped a beat. Then I heard the sound of the cars coming down our long driveway. He was coming for me! This is what I had been waiting for. The moment had finally come...and I was ready.

This can be your story too. It's not exclusive to women on their wedding day. You have read my experience as a bride on her wedding day, but you know what? I'm looking forward to experiencing this again. No, I'm not planning on remarrying. I'm still smitten with the husband I married 28+ years ago. Praise God! What I'm looking forward to is the day when the Lord Jesus Christ - The Bridegroom - returns for His bride the church. And sisters - brothers too! - that means you and me. We who know the love of God and have embraced His love through faith in Jesus Christ are the church...His body...the bride of Christ.

Just like I knew the arrangement as a young bride on my wedding day, we too have been told the plan for that great day.

For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

Are you ready? Are you waiting?

No comments:

Post a Comment