Friday, August 13, 2010

He knows ALL

Our God is amazing. The more I discover about God, the more I'm amazed by Him... and realize I can trust Him. I will share my latest discovery. 

We all know that God knows the end from the beginning. He is outside our time domain, so unlike us, He doesn't operate on a time-line. The past, present and future are as one to Him. Because of this He can say, as Isaiah quotes Him in Isaiah 46:9-10, "... I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please."

The example I found in the Bible this week is in Zechariah chapter 11. I won't quote the whole thing but will highlight parts of verses 7 through 13 to emphasize the point of God knowing all things and stating them before they happen on mankind's time-line.

"So I became the shepherd of the flock doomed to be slaughtered... And I tended the sheep.....The flock detested me, and I grew weary of them. Then I said to them, "If it seems good to you, give me my wages; but if not, keep them." And they weighed out as my wages thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—the handsome price at which they priced me! (Catch the sarcasm.) So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the Lord to the potter."

Zechariah, the priest and prophet, wrote this around 480 B.C.  Does this sound at all familiar to you? I don't remember noting this before, so to me, it was very "fresh" to see how familiar this sounded in Matthew's account of Jesus - Our Good Shepherd.

Matthew 27: 3-10
Then when Judas, his betrayer, saw that Jesus was condemned, he changed his mind and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." 
They said, "What is that to us? See to it yourself." And throwing down the pieces of silver into the temple, he departed, and he went and hanged himself. But the chief priests, taking the pieces of silver, said, "It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, since it is blood money." 
So they took counsel and bought with them the potter's field as a burial place for strangers. Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Then was fulfilled what had been spoken by the prophet Jeremiah, saying, "And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him on whom a price had been set by some of the sons of Israel, and they gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord directed me."

God has let us know - over and over again - in what He has said in the Scriptures (the Bible) that He is God, He is Good, and that He can be trusted to do what He says.

"Father, thank you, that you have revealed yourself to us in your Word. We are so thankful that we can see your redemption plan through Jesus Christ. You have made it so plain in your Word that there is no mistaking that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, and the coming King. Your plans are amazing! I ask you to break through my heart and mind so that I truly trust you in all the big things in life, and all the little things too. In every thing and every way I want to trust you. For you are good."

No comments:

Post a Comment