Monday, December 20, 2010

The Gift of Giving

"They were the first people my grandfather saw as he was coming off the battlefield in World War I," the man said. "He was wet, cold and covered in mud. They met him with a cup of steaming hot coffee... I'll never forget it."

I watched as he placed some money in the Salvation Army kettle. This was my first year volunteering. A friend and I had volunteered together but at the last minute, she had gotten too sick to come. As I stood there, I thought of the "gift" of giving. Some lowered their eyes as they passed me, some would look away as though they did not see me... others wished me a Merry Christmas. Most of the shoppers, who slid money into the pot, were older people... a lot of them ten to fifteen years older than me. I wondered where the young people were. By young people, I was thinking... thirties and forties. I can remember as a child being so excited to drop my coins into the kettle and feeling as though I had done something wonderful! Where were the families with children?

As I stood there waiting and observing, I saw a young couple taking a little baby out of a stroller. They looked as though they were searching for something. He was checking his pockets, she was checking her purse. And then I saw the Dad put something into the baby's hand and walk over to where I was standing. She was an adorable baby with curly blonde hair and a beautiful little cherubic face. She held tightly to the coin as her Dad tried to persuade her to put it into the kettle. Her chubby, little fist was clenched tightly, and honestly, there is no way she would have been able to put that coin into the money slot on the kettle by herself. As the coin dropped and she heard the clang... a big smile came over her face and her dad's. As he held her in his arms and walked away, emotions of gratitude filled my heart. I wondered to myself how that could make me so emotional. As I thought on it... I realized it wasn't even about the coin. It was the heart of the Dad and the child that stirred my emotions.

The dad was teaching the child, "the gift of giving." The love and affection displayed brought tears to my eyes. It reminded me of the deep love and affection the Heavenly Father has for us. And how one Christmas, two thousand years ago... God gave the "Ultimate Gift to the world in His Son, Jesus, Christ." Though He came as a little baby, wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger, He left leaving us a gift that out stands the richest billionaire in the world. All we have to do to receive this gift... is to receive Him. Jesus gave His life so that we might have eternal life with Him and live forever in peace, contentment and happiness. There is no greater gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment