Friday, December 24, 2010

Top of the List

"He's making a list and checking it twice..."

At this time of year, it seems like we need lists. These are the lists I have:
A gift shopping list. 
Grocery list.
To do list. 
Menu plans. 

We see many lists in Scripture too. One of the most well known ones would be But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Here's another one:
For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue (goodness), and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly-affection, and brotherly-affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8

This week I was shopping with my daughter-in-law for her Christmas gifts and also for my son's gifts. We had a great time together, and it turned out to also be a very successful shopping trip. When we were finished shopping, she said that the things we had bought for her were the top three items on her Christmas list.

It seems at any given time in our spiritual lives, we also have something at the top of our list of what we want God to do in our lives. There's one characteristic, gift, or fruit of the Spirit that we focus on and pray for. 

Back to the shopping trip with my daughter-in-law... As we were driving home, we were talking about our husbands and how thankful we are for them and how we admire them. I was relating to her, that a while ago we kept hearing appreciative comments from quite a number of people from different circles, about my husband being wise. As my husband and I talked about it at dinner one night, he said that for many years that was the one thing that he prayed intensely for. God had put a serious desire in his heart for wisdom. Now we are seeing that God has answered and given my husband the gift of wisdom. 

My daughter-in-law then said that the thing she is praying most for is peace - having her heart and mind stay in a place of contentment. 

This morning as I was waking up, I realized that I have JOY! More than a few years now, I've had the fruit of joy at the top of my wish list. I was almost giddy in my bed when I realized that throughout this often stressful time of Christmas prep, I've had joy to sustain me. Joy has become a characteristic in my life. This is really exciting for me because I see that God has done this for me! I was first motivated to ask God for joy because, contrary to my name being Joy (middle name), I wasn't really experiencing joy. 

What are you asking God for? Since God gives good gifts to his children when they ask, be encouraged to keep asking Him for what you have at the top of your list. Ask and you shall receive. It's Christmas after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment