Thursday, July 2, 2009

"The Green-eyed Monster"

There are few people that I have ever felt jealous of that lead to  a lasting jealousy.  I have on occasion felt a slight, jealousy of my children's attentions towards someone else, but it never lasted very long.  I had always told them that jealousy is a "green-eyed monster."  I have seen it destroy people's lives and take away their joy for years.

David was a good example of how to deal with jealousy.  Saul was deeply jealous of him but he continued to honor and love Saul even though Saul continually sought to take his life.

I remember a time when I was jealous for my mother's love.  I saw her doting on my sister and my brother.  The "green-eyed monster" would show it's ugly face... reminding me of how unimportant I was.   My Mom did not hide her favoritism.  With seven brothers and sisters, we all knew who were the special ones.  Here is where I get excited!  It caused me to seek the Lord, eventually releasing her to Him , as He enabled me to keep loving her in spite of her cruel treatment at times.  In the end, God rewarded my letting go. I'm not saying I did not feel pain at times because this was a lifetime pattern for her, but, when I placed her in His hands and gave up the control I wanted, God gave me peace.  

I continued to love my Mama through times of feeling unloved, unwanted and uncared for.  Had I taken to heart all of the cruel things she said to me and walked out of her life, she would not be in the kingdom today.  God gave me the power and love to keep going back.  

I cannot emphasize enough the power of God in our lives when we allow Him to take control.  That is why it is so important to remain close to Him in our daily walk.  It is not just the "green-eyed monster" that sneaks up on us... discontentment comes in many forms.  

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

"Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."  
1 Peter 5:6-9

We are so reminded of what jealousy can do in our lives if we allow it to gain control of our thoughts.  Most of us have lived with it at some time or another.  Basically it is "rotting to our bones."  Proverbs 14:30 tells us,  "A heart that has peace is life to the body, but wrong desires are like the wasting away of the bones."

The Bible tells us to rest in the Lord... to wait for Him... May we seek to do that as we  fight against the fiery darts of the enemy, standing firm in our relationship with Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment