Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Kind Heart

I love it when I see an act of kindness expressed through someones life that I don't even know... we have all been there at times.  Sometimes it is just a small gesture but it makes a great impression on our lives.  I can think of countless times that a form of kindness has been shown to me. One of those times was a day that I was very emotional and completely exhausted.  I had stayed awake with my mother all night holding her hand.... Somehow, I knew this would be our last night together.  I could not let go... I wanted to hold her hand until Jesus took it.  I did not want her to die alone.  As the early morning light began to filter into her room, I watched in awe as her facial expressions changed and she saw something I had never seen before.  I believe it was Jesus reaching for her hand.  As He took it,  I let go.  I believe she could also see heaven in the background.  It was fascinating to watch her looking back and forth with eyes that were crystal clear and not the cloudiness of death.  

Later, after my brothers and sisters gathered together and we  said our good byes to our Mother, we left to go to a restaurant to eat.  I was still very emotional, yet quiet in my thoughts.  This may sound very simple... but a stranger opened the restaurant door for me.  Maybe it was just knowing that I had released my Mother to walk through the gates of heaven and seeing the door open that brought on a flood of emotion.  But, his act of kindness blessed me.  

Another time, was when  we had moved to another state.  I did not know anyone except the realtor.  He came highly recommended  through the Bible College that we were to attend. He had been very kind to us and throughout the whole transition, continually went beyond what I had seen in other Realtors.  He had taken care of every request that we had asked of him and had the house professionally cleaned and fumigated by the time we moved in.  There was a lingering smell in the house the day we moved in and he stopped by to see how everything was coming along.  He noticed the fumigation smell and said he thought we would be alright to sleep there that night.  My husband had left us and drove back to our previous home to get more of our things.  So, it was just  my six year old daughter, a friend and myself that was at the new house.  Around midnight, there was a knock on the door.  Standing there was, our realtor and his wife.  He said he had gotten into bed but could not sleep for thinking of us.  He  and his wife insisted we come to their  house for the night.  We slept well that night and had a delicious breakfast the next morning.  I will long remember his kindness... we were strangers, yet he took us in and cared for us.

Jesus talks about that kind of love... He demonstrated kindness over and over again in the Bible.  Who knows, maybe some kindness you have shown to someone will be remembered for years to come and make an impact on their life.  I believe kindness, is often, sometimes a step towards leading a person to Jesus.  Most people read what we do... more than what we say.

"The Lord is full of loving-favor and pity, slow to anger and great in loving-kindness." Psalm 145:8

No comments:

Post a Comment