Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Strong in Him

Over the past few days, I have been sorting through some old boxes of books and papers.  A lot of it is a lifetime of memories... books I've read and couldn't give up; old cards and letters. There are also the boxes that are filled with my husband's  college papers and his books for more than eight years of university studies.  I also found little notebooks and papers of when my kids were in school... all so sentimental and special, I could never throw them away.  So, it is now something that I need to work through...

What I love finding when I look through these things, are bits and pieces of paper that have a history of my life on them.  I keep thinking some day I will put it all together.  As I read my journals, and little notebooks of my handwritten walk through this world... I have noticed that I still struggle with  some of the same issues that I did thirty to forty years ago and even longer... The exciting thing about all of this to me is... God has been walking me through it all.  There are some things that I have prayed for that have been  gradual changes.  They didn't happen right away.  The greatest lesson that I have learned is, God is faithful!  Not only that, He is patient with me.  And He doesn't say to me, "How many times do I have to tell you?'  He also doesn't say to me, "When are you ever going to learn?"  He knows our weaknesses.  And even though it is hard for me at times, I am so thankful for my weakness.  Without it, I would not need Him.   God also uses our weaknesses to make us strong... strong in Him.

Paul in the book of  2 Corinthians explains his struggle and weakness in life.  Though God did not remove the "thorn" or weakness... He used it to glorify Himself through Paul's life.

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of  Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with  the Lord to take it away from me.  But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you,  for My power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."  2 Corinthians 12:7-10






No comments:

Post a Comment