Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On Purpose

This morning I'm thinking about sighing. There are words to express what's in my mind and to express my emotions. And if I believe that "the tongue of the wise brings healing" and "death and life are in the power of the tongue", I guard against speaking words from my lips that are hurtful, and have purposed to say things that encourage and strengthen. Some things (like this) are important to decided ahead of time to do. David expressed to God in his prayer in Psalm 17, "I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress." I was taught at a young age to think before I spoke, and for the most part, I have been able to do this, choosing my words and tone of voice to relay accurately my thoughts and feelings, being sensitive to the feelings of the person listening. Of course, I'm not always successful and have to apologize, but the Holy Spirit is quick (praise him!) to let me know when this is necessary, because in my purposing to not do something, I know right away when I've done it.

Words are one thing. I can usually check them before they exit my mouth. Sighs, on the other hand, escape quickly and without thought. Sometimes the air coming from my lungs through my mouth speaks loudly, and I would say, most of what it's saying is not happy. Try to hear the different sighs expressing these emotions: Frustration, exasperation, boredom, anger, deep sadness, hopelessness.

People pick up on sighing. Just this morning, I gave a sigh which told my daughter without words that I was not happy with a mistake she made. She picked up on it right away, felt bad and apologized. It was a mistake and not a big deal. I really didn't want her to feel bad, and my words (which I think about first) didn't cause her to feel that way, but the air that came forcefully from my mouth did. Ugh. My words may have been gracious, but my air was not and was more accurate about what I was thinking and feeling. Rats!

Oh Lord, may the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart, be pleasing in your sight. May all the air that escapes my mouth, with sound attached or not, be breathed with grace and truth and on purpose. I, like David, purpose that my mouth, in whatever form it takes, will not trangress. Oh Lord, grant me success in this. I can only do it with your help.

Now... to go apologize to my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment