Friday, July 31, 2009

Listen to me

"Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness
and who seek the LORD..."


That would be me... and I hope that's you too. Pursuing righteousness and seeking God; they go hand in hand. There's no such thing as righteousness apart from God. And it's a for sure thing -
His righteousness is a for sure thing... totally trustworthy.

I like how after He implores His people to listen (Isaiah 51), He says,

"But my salvation will last forever,
my righteousness will never fail."
(verse 6)

and then He says basically the same thing two verses later...

"But my righteousness will last forever,
my salvation through all generations."
(verse 8)

It's obvious it's something we need to hear, and it's something He wants us to hear. Are you listening? Even when you fall short. Listen. When you mess up and lose control in the many ways we're prone to lose it... listen. His righteousness will never fail. He knows our righteousness does fail, and will fail, and always has failed...miserably. But then, it's not about our righteousness... is it?

For He has us covered.

"For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness."
Isaiah 61:10

That's life-giving news! So, we can say along with Isaiah in the first part of this verse,

"I delight greatly in the LORD;
my soul rejoices in my God."


This morning I was in the swimming pool with my grandson. He was scared that I'd let him go. He was whining and whimpering as I took him into the water. I had to whisper, "Listen to me. Stop crying and listen to me. I've got you. I'm holding you. I won't let go. I've got you."

Reassurance. His salvation will last forever. His righteousness will never fail. Trust Him. Delight greatly and rejoice in your Righteous God.

No comments:

Post a Comment