Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Land of the Living

Broken and crushed..

Darkness...

Sadness...

Hopelessness...

Hunger...

Thirst...

Pain...

Sorrow...

Unbearable grief...

Loss...

Orphaned...

Survival...

These are things that the people of Haiti are dealing with as they struggle to survive. As I continue to hear stories of how people are being pulled from the rubble after 15 days of darkness and little hope of being rescued... I get excited when I hear of someone beating the odds of not making it.

What would be going through our minds if we were trapped 15 days. Do you think by the 15th day, we would hope to have our affairs settled with God. What if you didn't know God? These people who survived were given one more chance to know Him if they didn't already.

As I looked over the list above, we have all experienced or felt some of the calamities life has handed down to us. We might not have been trapped under the rubble of cement and stone, but we have been trapped by the lies of Satan. The people of Haiti will have to fight hard against the lies of Satan, just as we do. He tries to convince us that we are not worthy of God's love, or that God doesn't really care about us. But God has given us a foundation of truth to stand on. He is Truth. He is Pure, and He is Holy. It is the foundation we live by. Without it, there is chaos, evil and no hope. Living without Truth sets us up for destruction.

We have to act on that truth... we have to believe. God has so many promises in His Word that assures us of who He is and His love for us. Along with believing Him, we have to trust Him. Often when things do not go as we had planned or hoped for, we have to trust that He knows what is best for us. There will always be suffering and all types of calamity in this world... but those of us who remain must keep looking to God. He is our refuge... He is our strength.

"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust. Psalm 91:2

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62: 5-8

"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in You my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Psalm 57: 1

I cry to You, O Lord; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living." Psalm 142:5

No comments:

Post a Comment