Monday, January 18, 2010

Today in church we heard a testimony of a husband sharing his journey of his wife's battle with cancer that was lost at Christmas. To hear a man share how there are days he curls under the blanket and struggles to face the world and continue on. To hear how God carried him and her through these struggles and now he's alone with Jesus. No wife to go home to every night. No wife to laugh with, share his heart, just rest quietly with. She's resting with Jesus.

Watching the news and seeing the calamity in Haiti. My heart is torn and I have shed so many tears for this country. It's easy to keep myself in a bubble because I attach myself emotionally to situations like this. I have a hard time watching images of the destruction and deaths on TV yet it's important to know what's going on in the world so we can pray and know how to pray.

Hearing about this wife who died of cancer and all the destruction in Haiti, life really doesn't seem fair somehow. I sat there in church thinking of my own life and what if God called me home today.... would I be ready? In a moment I know I'd be ready but what pains me most is that all the letters I think of writing to each family member telling them how much I love them and all the memories I treasure most are not written down yet. I have so much dear to my heart that I want to share with everyone before I am called home yet I know that God will take care of that too if I were to die tonight. The letters would mean so much to them but the time I have with them now is the most important. That's what they are going to remember. That leads me to this thought? How am I living and walking each day? Do my faith and works walk together?

There seems to be so much suffering in this world. My family has read a series of devotions on the book of Job and how God allowed Satan to bring suffering to Job. I hear of all the devastation in Haiti and then this husband who's wife has died. I wondered who brings destruction and allows these calamaties. Did Satan once again receive permission from God like he did in the book of Job?

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." ~John 16:33 (NIV)

Jesus tells us that we will experience trouble. There will be earth quakes, death, tsunamis, destruction. Through all this though is how we grow and our strength in Jesus is deepened. God is a God of love and will never do anything to hurt us.... only to help us.

Keep praying for the country of Haiti and for those in the world that are suffering.

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." ~ I Tim 2:1-4

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." ~Col 4:2


On another note: I found a link a good link with some answers in regards to if God sends disasters. I do not know the author but I found it very good. You can read it and ask God to lead you to some answers.
http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/content/does-god-send-killer-hurricanes

No comments:

Post a Comment