Friday, June 11, 2010

Afraid?

As you read the following verse, read it with poem-like rythm, and for fun try saying it in a young girl's voice.

When I am afraid
I will trust in you.


I was afraid last night. My second-born daughter is experiencing some health issues in her pregnancy. She had gone to a walk-in clinic yesterday and the doctor showed great concern. This caused her even more concern and then when she called me, I got concerned. Well, actually, after praying with my husband, son and daugther-in-law who were over, I went next door to my mom's house and bawled my eyes out. When I could finally tell her why I was crying, she prayed. (She was probably praying silently as she patiently waited for me to speak!)

As I was leaving, my sister realized I was over at their house. (My mom and my sister's family live in the house next to me.) After I told her my concerns through tears and sniffles, both she and my mom prayed with me. As they were praying, my sister called our attention to the mantle that my dad had made over the fireplace. The words engraved on the mantlepiece are TRUST IN THE LORD. As my sister and mom were praying for my daughter and her baby, they were also inviting me to put my trust in the Great Physician.

Why did I suggest that you read Psalm 56:3 in a young girls voice and with rythm? This is the verse that I had our oldest daughter memorize as a little girl. In my mind, I can still hear her sweet little voice reciting this verse. After learning about volcanoes in grade one, she was afraid of Mt. Baker erupting, among other fears. This verse was supposed to be a help to her.

It was a help to me as a helpless mother yesterday. Today as I see Psalm 56:3 in the ESV, I like it even more. Notice the difference.

When I am afraid
I put my trust in you
.

I was well-aware of my fear, but I could make the choice. I could choose to place my trust in the Lord - my loving God - instead of floundering in the grip of fear.

Today, my daughter went to her own medical doctor. The test results proved that she needed to get on antibiotics. Her doctor was calm and reassuring. My daughter was further assured when her naturepath doctor also agreed that she needed to address this issue with antibiotics. Now, I'm also relieved and am thankful for the medical intervention. I will keep putting my trust in God and will keep praying for a healthy grandbaby.

1 comment: