Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Body Language - Part 2

Last week I talked about using my body as an expression of worship - particularly through dance. I hope that some of you gave it a try. I'd love to hear about it!

As I've been reading through the book of Numbers, a phrase has been repeated a few times, catching my attention.

Numbers 14:5 "...and Moses and Aaron fell on their faces before the whole assembly..."
16:4 "When Moses heard it, he fell on his face..."
16:27 "And they (Moses and Aaron) fell on their faces..."
16:45 "And they (Moses and Aaron) fell on their faces..."
20:6 "Then Moses and Aaron...fell on their faces."

I don't believe that this was just a figurative way of saying that they started praying. The Israelites seemed to be very demonstrative people, tearing their clothes in grief, throwing ashes on themselves and wailing loudly in mourning, dancing mightily before the Lord. I think Moses and Aaron actually fell on their faces. Boom. Down. On the ground. Face in the dirt. Right now. Read the contexts of these passages and you'll find that Moses and Aaron did this in response to bad news and desperate situations. I have not researched this, but it makes sense to me from what I read in these passages and others that falling on their faces was a literal bodily posture.

At any rate, it was obvious that they were desperate in their desire to hear from God or to be heard by him. It was a posture of humility and dependence. And it was their first response. The first thing they did when confronted by the dire, urgent, childish, infuriating and critical state of affairs of the people of Israel.

Ever been there? Desperate to know what to do in a seemingly impossible situation? Desiring with all your heart to be heard?

Get on your face. Literally. Down. On the floor. On your belly. Nose in your carpet. As you read the passages related to the above verses, you'll see that when Moses and Aaron got back up, they knew what to do. Apparently they stayed on their faces until they had heard from God, and God was faithful to hear and to respond.

Of course, your loving Heavenly Father will hear you and respond if your face is lifted up, and your nose is breathing in the fresh air of the world around you rather than the crumbs from last night's pizza. It's like worship. You can do it however it is most meaningful to you, but somehow, connecting your body with your emotions makes a difference. In a posture of humility, your body, as well as your mind and your words, is acknowledging your need for God. And then, having to eventually stand up, your upward movement symbolizes rising to walk in faith and obedience, according to what he has spoken to your heart.

I tried this recently. I fell on my face and poured out my heart to God. He listened to the sound of my cry, he answered my plea for help (as he promises he will do), and when I got up, I knew what I needed to do. He is an amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment