Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A NEW DAY

I've been wanting to write about this for a long time, to tell you about the picture of the Soul Kitchen Painting. It is my most favorite painting of all time....created by a beautiful artist, Joyce (Dyck) Esau of Abbotsford, B.C.

When we moved, nearly six years ago...I went through the loneliest time of my adult life. It was a growing time for me. And as much as I loved many of the new changes that the move brought....at the time, it was hard.

I used to go and sit by myself in the Gourmet Gallery, an adorable coffee shop/art gallery/antique store. One day, when I walked in, I saw this painting and immediately...it resonated with my heart. Every time I went in, I would sit in front of it and just stare at it. I began to love it even more every time I saw it. I would hope every time I went in, that it would still be there. I didn't think I could buy it, but as long as I could look at it in that coffee shop...I was still happy to see it. It reminded me then, and reminds me today, of my spiritual journey and my personal relationship with Jesus.

There have been times in my spiritual journey when I felt lonely and misplaced...not sure of who I was and where I belonged. I felt detached from God and distant from him...wanting to connect but not really sure how. I longed for intimacy with Him but through my distractions and busyness....I felt like I was just going through the "christian motions" and didn't really even know where to start. The Bible seemed cold and faraway, I didn't know where to start reading again, and I couldn't even write in my journal. At church, it was embarrassing. I felt alone. I mean, I didn't feel like a good Christian girl could just go up to someone and say, "I've gone through the motions so long, that I don't know who Jesus really is anymore."

But He pursued me....as He pursues you...each in our own language. He pursues. He didn't ask me to get my act together before we could talk. He didn't tell me I had to be reading the Bible every day before He would meet with me...or that I had to 'feel' spiritual in order to have an intimate relationship with Him.

He asked me to get up before the rest of the house and meet with Him in the quiet...just the two of us.

I did.

In the darkness of the early morn...I sat in front of the fireplace...hot cup of coffee in hand....curled up in my bathrobe...looking at the empty chair on the other side of the fireplace....we talked.

Actually, I talked...pouring out my heart to Him. I couldn't wait to meet Him the next day....and then the next. Funny, how it began. Then... I desperately wanted to hear His words...I became hungry again for the truth....I couldn't get enough....the Bible awoke to me and His words began to soak into my spirit...breathing life into my heart and mind and body. I began to know Jesus in a whole new way. In my life, it was 'A New Day'.
.......

I walked into the coffee shop to sit in my usual place. I looked up and it wasn't there. A sense of loss, swept over me. "I don't have to have it Lord, I just want to be able to see it when I come in here", I spoke in my heart to Him.

A month went by....and I felt its loss every time I walked through the doors.

Christmas came....and there it was....carefully and lovingly wrapped under the tree...a gift from the man I love.

Today...it hangs in my kitchen...and I love it as much now as I did then. Thank you, Joyce for using your gifts and inspiring and blessing others through them. You are a beautiful artist. Thank you for allowing us to share your painting , 'A NEW DAY' with everyone who visits the 'Soul Kitchen'.

Thank you Jesus for being a God who pursues....a God who loves....full of patience and mercy and compassion, full of justice, righteousness, goodness and truth.

3 comments:

  1. I was so pleased to read your piece on "A new day". The first time I read your blog I fell in love with the picture and often wondered where it came from. I would be interested in getting one myself and was hoping you may have some contact information about the artist?

    Blessings to you, Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Felicia...Thanks so much for your note. I will try to get some information for you. I will post it here under comments for "A New Day" and will hopefully have something for you sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, thank you.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete