Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring

Welcome to the first day of spring. Spring…even the word is lively. It emits energy, movement - upward movement. It inspires anticipation. In spring we experience new life, new growth, an abundance of beauty, and a strong pull to be outdoors with an expectancy to discover the miracles of spring.

For us in North America, the northern hemisphere of the earth is now tilted toward the sun. When it faces the sun, life flourishes. With the abundance of rain we have on the west coast, the spring growth is especially lush and green.

I want spring to be reflected in my life too as I turn my face toward the Son. I choose to look to Christ my Saviour. I want Him to bring new growth, new life and transformation in my life that reflects His hand, His work, and His glory.

Oh how we need Him to be anything of beauty! Oh how we need Him to be anything. Period. Our very life is dependent on God. Do you realize this? If it were not for Him, we would not even be.

"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'” Paul says to the men of Athens in Acts 17:24-28.

What bountiful provision. What purpose in life. How worthy is He of all our praise and thanksgiving.

Genesis 2:7 describes how He formed us.
the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

God breathed His breath into mankind. We have His breath in us. Ponder that. God’s breath! Can you say WOW to that?! Are you feeling special?!! You rightly can feel special!

Job surely knew this and pondered the glorious works of God. He writes,

as long as I have life within me, the breath of God in my nostrils,
Job 27:3

In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:10

If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, all mankind would perish together and man would return to the dust. Job 34:14-15

For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself. John 5:26

God has life in himself and so does our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. We don’t have life in ourselves. We have the breath of life from God…and we can also have life through His Son Jesus Christ.

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.
John 5:24

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 1 John 5:11-12

I think I’m on a bit of a rabbit trail today. From spring to breath of life to crossing over from death to life, but I want to continue on my thought process. Have you ever thought about all the people that you see every day who are alive but don’t HAVE life? Sometimes, especially at big sporting events or concerts, I look around me and see all those faces and in my heart I cry out to God on their behalf, for these ones whom I call the walking dead. God has breathed the breath of life into them – they are temporarily alive - but they are not written in the Book of Life. By the grace of God all living creatures have the breath of God in them. But some of us… how blessed we are…have LIFE through Jesus Christ!

“He who has the Son has life.”

It all comes down to one thing – One Person – God, who has given us life and breath and everything else through His Son Jesus Christ. Thank You for spring and new life. You, Lord Jesus, are my very life!

No comments:

Post a Comment