Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Seekers

It's spring break....feels a little more like winter break with sunshine (with which I am ever so grateful for the sunshine) but...I slept in today. I still had coffee with Jesus this morning, listening to Him and talking with Him...but I have learned that once the rest of the house gets up, and everyone is at home...I have to fight for my turn at the computor....not really, but it is a little more challenging to get here and focus, as the computor is in the kitchen...the hub of our home.

I have been thinking the last few days about 'Seeking' and how truly important it is to 'Seek' after the right things.

I don't remember a time when I didn't love Jesus. But I do remember many times in my life when I wasn't actively seeking Him. I was seeking after other things to fill the empty places of my heart and life.

I struggled the most with this in high school. I sought after people and things to meet my needs but none of them satisfied...they left me more empty than when I started and wounded besides.

When I got accepted to go to bible college....it was a form of seeking for me. I felt spiritually desperate and thought that if I could just be around a lot of christians...I could get my act together and I would be fine.

Boy, was I wrong. At first, all I could see were a lot of kids like me....some were there to get married, some were there because their parents made them, some seemed to be there just to push the boundaries...and some seemed so 'holier than thou'...I thought they were totally fake.

After my first semester, totally disillusioned, I went and sat down in the dean of women's office and told her that I didn't think there were any godly women on our campus.

I love her to this day. She folded her hands on the desk and smiled at me and then told me something I will never forget. I probably don't have the words in the right order but it went a little like this..."When you are seeking...you will find what you are looking for. If you look for ungodly women, you will find them...but if you look for godly women...you will find them also."

She took a piece of paper and wrote down some names. Then she handed it to me and told me to go find these women and tell them why I was looking for them, they were godly women...none of which I knew.

I did what she said. One of them discipled me...meaning she met with me weekly and taught me spiritual things and truths from the bible...she showed me her own personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I began to find young women in my dorm that were seeking Jesus too. I began to grow.

I'd like to say that was the end of it...that I never sought after other people or things to meet the desires or needs of my heart again...but it wouldn't be true. I have had to refocus many times and evaluate what I was seeking after. The truth is....only Jesus satisfies me. When I am seeking Him...I find Him and He fulfills every promise He has made.

I am still a seeker....I seek to know more of Jesus....I seek to be a godly woman and to have godly women in my life. I seek to live and to live a life of freedom and abundance and truth.

David said to his son Solomon before he died in 1 Chronicles 28:9...

"...know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you...."

2 Chronicles 7:14
"...if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Wow! Can you imagine that!

Jeremiah 29:11-13
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."

Keep seeking.

1 comment:

  1. What the woman said to you is so right. I know we don't always want to hear that but it's true. What an amazing story and blessing to me. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete