Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Making Time

Life is busy.  Our life seems like it anyway.

  We were out of town this past weekend for a wedding in a place that we used to live before.  Life runs at a little slower pace there.  It's a small town.  People are  more relaxed for the most part.  But I imagine, people living there, just like me, can still feel too busy sometimes too.

When I was a young mom...life was busy.  Sleep was a precious commodity I didn't have much of...and moments alone...what was that?  

I'm embarrassed to say that I couldn't even count the times that I have told Jesus that I'd love to spend time with him....I just didn't have time....or the times that I didn't really give it a second thought as I sped through the day and fell into bed at the end of it.

No guilt trip here...it's just that I finally realized how much I need him...and how much I want him.  I don't want to go through a day without noticing him anymore.

I want the focus of my life to be constantly intertwined with his all the time.

My mother has been a beautiful example of this lived out to me in her personal life.  I didn't see her spending hours reading her bible and praying...but I saw her connected with her Saviour.  I heard her singing to him, praying to him and meditating on scripture throughout the day in the activities of normal life.

As a young mom, a dear woman gave me the book "Practicing His Presence" by Brother Lawrence and encouraged me to read it...she told me how she would open the bible to where she was reading and leave it on the table and everytime she walked by she would read a verse and meditate on it until she walked by again.  I began making verse cards that I would carry with me in my diaper bag or purse and I would meditate on just one or two verses for days at a time....all of this for me has been a process of learning how to spend time with Jesus thoughout the daily multi-tasking chaos that often comes in the every day life of being a woman.

So speaking of busy....I started this post today at about 6:45 this morning...and now here it is, almost 8:30 tonight and I'm still trying to finish it!

Here's the verses I began meditating or thinking on and praying through this morning:

Colossians 3:12-17

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and , if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other, as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.  And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.  And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body.  And be thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.  And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment