Monday, June 15, 2009

To Life and Godliness

Do you have someone in the bible that you just feel like you can relate to?

I have a few...but Peter....well, let's just say that I think our temperaments are similar...I love Peter though, because he was so real and transparent and sometimes crazy impulsive...(I'm not all that crazy impulsive...but I do say things without thinking sometimes!). However, what I really love about Peter is that he learned from his mistakes, he didn't allow them to define who he became....he became the man that Jesus saw he could be.

I was reading in 2 Peter chapter 1 this morning.

I have a hard time picking my favorite verses in the bible because so many of them become special to me when God is teaching me something or I am holding on to God's word for truth or encouragement or comfort. However, beginning in verse 3...I just love what it says...

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,

then he goes on...

by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.

For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God has given us, sisters...everything we need to be the woman that He has called us to be....spiritually and physically. That is just mind boggling to me. Some days I just feel like I don't have what it takes....plain and simple...and on my own, I don't...but, the Holy Spirit is our helper...He doesn't just want to help you become more godly....He also wants to help you figure out your finances or plan what you're gonna make for dinner tonight if you can't make up your mind. He wants to walk with you in relationship and help you walk with others in healthy relationships.

He inspires you to grow and reach and become all that He sees in you...even when you don't see it yourself.

Grow Sisters...Let us pursue godliness, making every effort in faith and virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, sisterly affection and love...knowing that God's holy and divine power has been given to us for this purpose in all things...Blessed be his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment