Friday, September 18, 2009

Are you willing?

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

You, my brothers [sisters], were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbour as yourself." Galatians 5:13

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
Galatians 5:24-26

Are you experiencing freedom? This is not an ideal; it's supposed to be the norm for someone who belongs to Jesus. Yes, I understand that we're not perfect, and I understand that it's a life-long journey of growth and change. I also understand that God is about perfecting us - making us to be more like Him.

I guess I have one question today. Am I willing to have God work change in me? Am I willing to humble myself and admit that I do things contrary to God's way? Let me tell you, I don't think it's fun admitting wrong, or facing the hurts we have stuffed deep inside. These are the things, though, that keep us from being free and prevent us from being able to walk in love. I have come to value more and more this freedom that God has set us free for. That's why I'm more willing to face the "ugly" issues that plague me or the hard things that scare me.

You don't have to want to go there with God - a lot of times I don't want to go there! But you can still be willing. That's all God needs from us, even if it's a hesitant "yes."

My dear sisters, God loves you and has come to give you life!...life in all its fulness. God wants to work change in our hearts and minds, so we are able to live free. So we can have peace even in trying times; joy, even in sorrow; patience, even when we're running behind schedule; love and forgiveness, even when someone wrongs us.

I pray that you can pray this along with me. Father, I'm willing. I want you to work in me. I want you to set me from all the things that keep me from being who you've created me to be. Help me to trust you in the process. Thank you that you love me fully, even right now, exactly the way I am with all my shortcomings and obvious sins. I know you don't want to change me so that you can love me more, but because you love me and want me to be free.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I needed to hear this today as I'm feeling at a really low point and struggling spiritually today. Thanks for this encouragement... I need to be free and want to. I could use some prayer... thanks. Miss you all and love you. You are such a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete