Monday, September 14, 2009

"Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth and honor and life. In the paths of the wicked lie thorns and snares, but he who guards his soul stays far from them. Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. "
~ Proverbs 22:3-6

I've struggled this week with my parenting. I have been blessed with a strong willed daughter who likes to push the limits. God knew I was the best parent for her so I thank Him for blessing me with the responsiblity of parenting. It doesn't come easy or joyfully every day but I have needed to direct my eyes to what Jesus says in His Word to keep me focused. I make mistakes and regret decisions. I feel awful after I need to discipline. I know why I need to discipline but my heart aches to follow through. I don't like seeing my children hurt.

"My son, keep your father’s commands
and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
Bind them upon your heart forever;
fasten them around your neck.
When you walk, they will guide you;
when you sleep, they will watch over you;
when you awake, they will speak to you.
For these commands are a lamp,
this teaching is a light,
and the corrections of discipline
are the way to life
,"
~ Prov 6:20-23

Through all my decisions, I want Jesus to be the source of my strength and that He can be the one I direct my daughter to. It is my job to teach her how Jesus walked and lived and be an example so she will want to share that joy that only Jesus can bring. I fail so miserably in that area so often.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."
~Deut 6:4-9

There's alot of responsibility in being a parent... especially parenting a strong willed child. I thank Jesus for each of my children and know that the source of strength in raising them comes only from HIM. Jesus gives us so many words of encouragement in His Word that we can soak on. These are just a few to encourage you and me of what our responsiblity is... for me when I turn to God's word I get encouraged and rejuvenated in my joy of parenting. My prayer is that I've done the same for you.

"Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him."
~ Ps 127:3

How can you encourage your children?
Do your children see Jesus in you?
Is there anything that you need to reconcile with your child(ren)? What's holding you back?
What robs your joy of parenting?
Do you struggle with guilt in parenting issues?
Thank Jesus for each of the children you've been blessed with. They are precious gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment