Wednesday, September 2, 2009

God is Love

God is love. 1 John 4:8 & 16

I was a ninth grader at a new school. There was this cute guy who kept on looking at me all the time. I could tell he liked me. I'd look at him and he'd quickly look away, but I had felt his eyes on me. I didn't know then, that he prayed and asked God that he'd be able to go out with me. Then, when I later had a boyfriend, he asked God if he could maybe just kiss me once. He really liked me. Well, God heard his prayers, and one day I did become his girlfriend, and he was able to kiss me once... and for all the years since, he's kept kissing me. I quite like it. I sometimes say of him - my husband, "I love him because he first loved me."

I know this is a verse in the Bible that is talking about God first loving us.
"We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19

"In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1 John 4:10

Before you ever noticed Him, He saw you - and knew you - and He loved you. And it never changed... nor can it change. He always will love you, because God is love. He's always true to His character. God is love. He loved us before we ever were born. That's a one-sided , totally dependent on Him kind of love.

"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him" 1 John 4:9

He has won my heart with His loving kindness. I am so thankful that God invites us into His love - into relationship with Him. I pray that God has won your heart and is continuing to win your heart as He is mine. I'm learning to love and trust Him more as I come to understand how great His love is. I'm learning to love others more deeply as I understand how great His love is.

Father, reveal your love to us more and more each day. Help us to be able to comprehend Your great love and walk in love with you and those around us.

1 comment:

  1. What a very beautiful picture God gave you through your husband! It brought tears to my eyes. So glad to know that we are REALLY loved. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete