Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My daughter has a way of saying things that make me laugh. I'm not sure where she comes up with some of the things she says, but she has a quick wit and a great sense of humor. One figment of speech that she has used recently has caught my attention, and it goes like this: Someone will ask a question about the behaviour of her dog, such as, "Why does your dog have to lie in the middle of the kitchen floor right when we're trying to get dinner ready?" and she will answer, "It's just his way." Or someone might say, "Why does that girl take such long showers?", or "Why can't she just eat her food like a normal person?" and she will pipe up, "It's her way."

It strikes me funny, because 1) no one is really asking for an answer and 2) it ends the discussion. There doesn't need to be any other explanation for the behaviour. It's just what he does. It's her way. That's all there is to it.

The other day I came across this verse:

Psalm 119:132 - Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your way with those who love your name.

It's his way! To turn to us and be gracious to us is his way. That's what he does. That's how he is with us. Don't have to explain it, justify it, or earn it. It's just his way.

Turn to me. Notice me. Look at me. Give me your full-on attention. Hear what I'm saying. See what I'm doing. I need you to know what's going on.

Be gracious to me. Love me. Take care of me. Strengthen, help, and heal me. Forgive me. Encourage me. Move me and use me.

It's what he does for those of us who love his name. How could you know him and not love his name?! The God who owns the name that is above all names, turns to you and is gracious to you. Amity acknowledged it in her prayer on Friday's blog, "Surely, my concerns are known to You then. Surely Your eye is on me - the one You gave Your only Son for - and You care for me!".

It's his way. It just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment