Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Do all things without grumbling or questioning (complaining or arguing - NIV), that you may (prove yourselves to - NAS) be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life... (ESV) Philippians 2:14-16a

Ok. So doing all things without grumbling, questioning, arguing or complaining shows to the people among whom I live that I am a blameless, innocent, blemishless child of God who holds out the word of life. Wow. That must mean that the crooked and twisted people around me do a lot of compaining, arguing and grumbling. (Actually, if you listen for it, you will notice that people complain all the time, and it's quite easy to get caught up in it. It's a lot easier to be negative, than positive, especially when you're grocery shopping and have to deal with the irritating displays in the already too narrow isles, ridiculous prices, dumb membership cards that make you think you're getting a good deal when it's really a worse deal if you didn't have one, stupid layouts that make you wander all around the store looking for a can of black beans which should be in the regular bean section with all the other beans but are in the health food aisle next to the Burt's Bees display. What the heck?)

Where was I?

So... people who don't grumble, complain and argue while doing what they do are different. Imagine, just not complaining makes them stand out like lights in the world. It's something that gets NOTICED.

Sounds pretty simple, really, and not so hard. I don't have to add it to my "to do" list.

Oh Lord. You say that we are the light of the world, and we are your dearly loved children. We have been redeemed from crooked and twisted ways. We are different. I want the difference you have made in me to be noticed. I want to shine like a star among those who don't know you, to hold out the word of life to people who need to know that you love them and desire to give them life beyond what they hope for. Make me aware of the words and attitudes with which I do my work. Let not grumbling and complaining be what comes out of my mouth. May I instead, do my work with thanksgiving and joy, because I belong to you.

Will you join me this day in asking God to keep a check on what comes out of our mouths?

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment