Monday, May 10, 2010

The flowers Fade


We have a dogwood tree that my husband planted in the backyard last year. It is amazing to see how much it has grown and the beautiful blooms that are so delightful to look upon. Yesterday was a beautiful day. Our backyard was ablaze in color from one corner to the other. I wanted to capture the beauty of each flower and bloom, knowing that soon... it will fade and how quickly the time goes by.

Julie and her family came for lunch as well as our youngest daughter, Annababe. We also enjoyed the company of our son-in-law's sister and her husband. Our son Josh, lives in North Carolina, so he was enjoying spending time with his wife and new little son at the beach. We had a fun time taking pictures in the backyard. I had received a new camera and was intent on capturing every moment. Though, I was in the moment... my thoughts drifted in and out of family back home in North Carolina. Mother's Day and other special occasions always bring back strong family memories...

As I think of how quickly time passes, I think about the experiences we have had that we think we will never forget. And yet... some things we want to remember, we cannot recall. What do we remember that has significantly impacted our lives? I remember telling someone if I could leave anything with my children, it would be my heart. To this she replied, "That is the last thing I would offer to my children." She went on to talk of how deceptive the heart is. I guess I was thinking, only the good part of my heart but realized afterward if I gave them my heart, they would get the worst part of it too. Wouldn't I be embarrassed for them to know the wickedness of my heart? Uhm, yeah... I think so. That's why God is the only one who can hold our hearts in the palm of his hand and still love us enough to die for us.

The Bible is full of verses regarding our heart... God instructs us to, "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 11:18-19

We can hope to leave some wonderful treasures with our children someday, but the best thing we can leave them is a truth they can pass down from generation to generation. It will not get lost in a flood, earthquake, or fire or any other major disaster but will last forever. The only truth that is pure and uncorrupted is the Word of God. Everything else is going to fade away and be forgotten. I've often heard people say that when we die, we cannot take anything with us... but I am inclined to believe we can take with us our faith, hope and love and the word of God that has been instilled in our hearts.

"All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the Lord blows on them. Surely the people are grass. the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40: 7-8

If you are looking for Julie's post today, she will be posting on Thursday. I will be posting on Mondays. Thanks so much for joining us!

No comments:

Post a Comment