Thursday, May 6, 2010

For the past few days, I have been following the news on the flooding in Nashville, Tennessee. I have some really good friends who live there. They built a beautiful home that overlooks the Cumberland River. If you have followed the news at all in the states, you will know that the Cumberland River flooded its banks and the city of Nashville has been underwater for about a week. It all happened very quickly without a lot of warning. The flood showed no favor or mercy to the people in it's path. It came upon the rich and the poor, along with the most famous music industry in North America. My friend John and his wife Sandy were involved in the music arena and John has played a significant part in our native kids camps every summer. He has come for at least the past ten years and held free concerts to the whole community. John not only held free concerts... he gave away free Cd's to all of the kids, their parents and anyone who wanted one.

John and his wife Sandee spent several years building their home. They didn't have a lot of money, so they scouted out places where they could salvage usable lumber and old antique fixtures. They checked Craig's List and yard sales and EBay. John even built his own studio out of scrap lumber. Today, his home was on the front page of USA Today and his car is submerged in water just outside of his southern style home.

If you have ever been through a flood and have been told you need to evacuate, you do not have a lot of time to decide what you can save and what you can't. The year before our youngest daughter was born, we had this experience. On this particular Thanksgiving morning, we had received warning of flooding up the valley from our home but did not think the water from the river would reach us. A lot of people were sand bagging along the river, including my husband just for precaution. But... just in case, I decided to go outside and bring in bicycles, toys, chainsaws, lawnmowers, and anything else I didn't want to lose. We lived in a mobile home at the time with a porch addition that was quickly filling up with stuff! After a while, my husband came home and said they had done all they could. We went through the house putting things up on the table and counter tops. I grabbed pictures from the wall and those I had in boxes, my guitar and a few other valued things I could get into the truck. We received word we needed to evacuate immediately. I remember leaving the house and thinking, "Will any of this look the same when I come back home?" My husband drove us to a friends house who lived above the valley floor. We left the kids and drove back to our house and grabbed a few more things and stopped by to check on our neighbor. Her husband had died many years before and she lived alone. She did not want to leave her place but we pleaded with her to come with us. By the time we finally convinced her to come, the water was lapping at the door of our truck as we drove through town.

We learned a lot during that experience. We learned that life is more important than things. We experienced the kindness of people we knew, and that of strangers. We learned that people are blessed when they can help someone else. We learned that worrying will not change a thing. We learned that you can begin again. We learned that there are those who love carrying our burdens for us. And there are so many other things we learned during that time of God's love and faithfulness. God gives us great joy when we help someone who is in desperate need and cannot help themselves.

As we think about those today who are hurting or in situations that are desperate, let us pray for them. It could be a sorrowful heart that needs healing or a health issue or sickness. You probably have someone in your life that needs your prayers. Maybe, even... you need prayer. If you do.... Psalm 86: 1-17 is a prayer of David. Parts of it might apply to your life today.

Hear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Guard my life for I am devoted to You. You are my God; save your servant who trusts in You. Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to You all day long. Bring joy to your servant, for to You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to You. Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. In the day of my trouble I will call to You, for you will answer me.

Among the gods there is none like You, O Lord; no deeds can compare with Yours. All the nations You have made will come and worship before You, O Lord; they will bring glory to Your name. For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God.

Teach me your way, O Lord and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O Lord God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is your love toward me; You have delivered me from the depths of the grave.

The arrogant are attacking me, O God; a band of ruthless men seeks my life... men without regard for you. But You, O Lord are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.

Turn to me and have mercy on me; grant Your strength to Your servant and save the son of your maidservant. Give me a sign of your goodness that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for You, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment