Friday, May 28, 2010

To Know or Be Known

We know that we all possess knowledge.
Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.
The man who thinks he knows something
does not yet know as he ought to know.
But the man who loves God is known by God
.
1 Corinthians 8:1b-3

I've been thinking about these verses for almost two weeks. The contrasts in these verses have my mind engaged in trying to grasp something deeper than I've seen even after two weeks of being parked on this passage. What do you want me to see here, Lord?

I don't like the idea of being puffed up. Most puffed up things pop, or get squished or flatten. (Except maybe for a bloated stomach. Why can't that just flatten like my hair does in the rain?)

I like the idea of building up much better. When you build, there's substance and purpose. It's for someone's good. These verses say that it's love that builds; knowledge isn't the "builder-upper."

Knowledge isn't bad; it's a good thing. But knowledge without love... that's where the puff comes in. "But knowing isn't everything. If it becomes everything, some people end up as know-it-alls who treat others as know-nothings. Real knowledge isn't that insensitive." (1 Corinthians 8:7 The Message)

We're supposed to take effort in attaining knowledge so that we are not "ineffective and unproductive in our knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 1:8 However, knowledge is only one of seven characteristics we're supposed to add to our faith. Here's the list: "...make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 1 Peter 1:5-7

I'm probably looking at these verses so much because I'm contemplating doing some more school. I have had a secret desire to get a university degree. I would do it slowly, but even then, I feel like my studies would limit my time doing the "love stuff" like kids and grandkids, volunteering at our church, being with my husband and friends. I'm trying to discern if this is right for me at this time. Is this something I truly want? Is it something God is calling me to? Pray that I will know what God is saying about this.

You know something.
Really.
You're know by God.
Now, that's real.

No comments:

Post a Comment