Monday, May 24, 2010

"A New Kind of Normal"

On occasion we are faced with events or circumstances in our lives that bring about change. Sometimes, it is a forever kind of change. Because each day is a new day, everyday that we live brings about change. Nothing is exactly as it was yesterday. That can often be a good thing or it can be devastating. How we handle those changes can make a difference in how we live each day. I have to admit, there are times that I have not dealt with change in a positive way. I like for things to stay the same but often that is not the case, so we have to deal with it from a different angle or perspective. Hopefully, if we are looking to God, who is our hope in all situations, we will be able to deal with it. That is not to say that we will not suffer pain, sorrow or deep suffering. But, God is with us... He is there.

I have been reading a book by Carol Kent, titled, "A New Kind of Normal." I first met Carol in Whistler, possibly twenty years ago. She was the guest speaker for a "Speak Up With Confidence" seminar at a Women's Business Club meeting. She was promoting her book under the same title. She has written several books that have caught my attention over the years. However, when I read her book, "When I Lay My Isaac Down," it was a book about irreversible change, deep sorrow, grief and pain. As she shares her journey with us, our hearts are strengthened in faith and hope. As we trust God through some very difficult times in our lives, we can hold on to the word of truth that is able to sustain us.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

"You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:114

Here is an excerpt from the introduction of Carol Kent's book, for those who are facing a "new kind of normal..."

I will survive
I will persevere
I will be vulnerable
I will forgive
I will trust
I will hold those I love with open hands
I will be thankful
I will choose purposeful action.

Where do we go when we can't get things back the way they were? We go to the only safe place in our life... to our heavenly Father and Lord Jesus Christ.

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment