Friday, April 16, 2010

The Comforter

But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. John 16:7

My girlfriend came a long way to be with me and my family in our time of sorrow. She asked this question. What kind of God says, "It is good for me to go away, so I can send you the Comforter."?

I've noticed, in this time of grief, that the people who seem to bring me the most comfort are those who have also suffered grief. They know. They say the right things or they don't say anything but you feel their empathy and simply know that there is understanding- even when there is no way we will ever fully understand on this side of heaven.

What kind of God sends us a comforter? One who knows. One who understands. One who has suffered and is acquainted with sorrow. Jesus knows.

He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Isaiah 53:3

This wasn't a one time event for Jesus. It wasn't just when he climbed that hill of crosses and endured the cross, but it was a life-time of suffering. He knows what it's like for us here on this earth plagued by sin, sickness, sorrow and death. He knows we can't do this alone... so He sends us the Comforter, the Counselor, the Helper, and Advocate.

A loving, gracious, tender and compassionate God sends us a Comforter...because He knows.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Amity:
    Wow, your post hits the nail on the head! I have been so tired from visiting Al in the hospital, but you made me realize that I am grieving and our whole family is that way, because even tho' Al is still alive, we have already lost so much. And seeing him suffer, and having lost so much, being bed-ridden, except for short excursions, he is grieving and worries because now I have to do all the things he used to do. Thank you for this beautiful reminder. It is ok to grieve and know that Jesus understands totally and gives us His Holy Spirit. Love, Dancing Girl

    ReplyDelete