Thursday, April 29, 2010

Many Nations One Savior 2010












I am standing at the top of a 26 story building overlooking the city of Chicago. It was a balmy evening and beautiful. We were staying with some friends in their downtown condo and had arrived for a gathering of First Nations leaders during Native Awareness week in Chicago. For the past three years at least, we have been going to this annual gathering. This year the event was called Many Nations One Savior 2010.

My husband and I had the opportunity to meet with other Native friends and leaders from all over North America. A native friend went with us and was a part of the leadership and spoke at the church we attended in Crystal Lake, Ill. It was such an encouraging time. It was a time to talk and share of what God is doing in the lives of native people. It is always refreshing to be a part of this event and so encouraging to hear of Gods faithfulness. One native speaker had been in a car crash last June and had broken almost every bone in his body. He was at the meeting in his wheel chair with his wife who had also been in the accident. When I heard of the seriousness of his accident last year, I knew it would be a miracle if he survived. And here he was telling his story of God's faithfulness with a glow of love for Christ on his face.

During this time we had the opportunity to do a little touring of downtown Chicago. I loved the history and ancient old buildings. Some were so fascinating! We visited a Roman Catholic Cathedral. As we looked at the details of carvings and stonework inside this church... it was amazing! I loved it! It was such a place of peace in the bustle of street cars, buses, and people rushing about. There was a woman sitting there praying. It made me wonder about her life and what she might be praying about... or was she just sitting there and focusing her heart on another time and place in the kingdom of God.

I also found it interesting as we toured the city to come upon a place where Fort Dearborn used to stand. A monument was placed there and it was titled "Defense." The stone carving depicted a battle between the native warriors and the captain of the fort trying to defend the white women and children. An angel hovered over the two groups. The words said, "Fort Dearborn stood almost on this spot after an heroic defense in eighteen hundred and twelve. The garrison together with women and children was forced to evacuate the fort lead forth by Captain Wells. They were brutally massacred by the Indians. They will be cherished as martyrs in our early history." As I stood there, I was captivated by the realistic, stone carving. The young native man who came on the trip with us stood beside me, he too, lost in thought. I didn't get a chance to ask him how he felt, but I would have been curious to know his thoughts.

We all come from different places in our lives and have different things to struggle through. But God loves all of us no matter what our skin color is, our background, our culture, or our family line. I love the verse in Jeremiah that speaks about God's plans for us even though it was written for the Israelites. I believe it applies to us as well. He chose our families, countries and languages. Our hope and our future is in Him. His plan for us is good.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord and will bring you back from captivity. Jeremiah 29:11-14

I had several other pictures I wanted to post but my computer has not being agreeable with me today. Maybe another time I will post them. By the way, I had an awesome time at the Beth Moore Simulcast on Saturday with Julie and several other friends. Looking forward for greater things to come as God gives each of us victory as we believe Him to do what He has said He will do.



















1 comment:

  1. That is EXACTLY the verse I needed to hear today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete