Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Keep the Sabbath holy...

I have posted previously about a verse that stood out to me as I was reading through Leviticus. In it, the priests were told to "distinguish between the holy and the common." Even before I read this verse and more so now, I have been thinking about what it means to be holy and how I can make my house a holy household. Of course, it is no coincidence that Chris is now speaking on holiness. A friend and I have been in dialogue about this quite a bit. Her and I were talking the other day about a variety of things and she read aloud Isaiah 58. While we were actually discussing something other than holiness, I was struck by what it said about keeping the Sabbath holy. My mum used to tell me of how when she was a child she was not even allowed to go for a walk on a Sunday. I used to think this not only odd but legalistic and way too constricting. My friend mentioned that her husband's grandmother always made a big pit of soup on Saturday evening so that her family would be fed on Sunday, but that she would not have to work to have them fed. Again, this seemed rather "over the top". But is it? My friend and I also discussed what it is to be "exceptional" (something that really struck her at the Beth Moore similcast). Once again, I was reminded of what it says in Leviticus; distinguish between the holy and the common. The common is not exceptional, the holy is. Of course I would be seen as odd if I adopted the view of the Sabbath that some of our grandparents and parents were raised with. But it would be exceptional. As odd as I may seem (especially to my husband and my children) I am hoping to "revamp" Sundays in our house. No more TV (we really don't watch much anyway, but I don't know what I will do for the Canucks' playoffs games that fall on Sundays!!), no more stores, no more restaurants, no more cooking, no more house work, no more idle talk (as it says in Isaiah). If I want to pursue a life of holiness why am I going against the commandment in which we are told to keep the Sabbath holy? So, in my quest to find out what holiness is, and how to live it, this is where I am starting. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment