Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Love of God...

I'm without much to say today. I was hoping to come on here with monumental news of a small miracle. My husband's wallet was stolen the other night and I have been praying that it will make its way back to us. I know it might seem unlikely, but the thought of someone using his wallet for identity theft or even just looking at the pictures of myself and my sons in there makes me uneasy. So I have been praying for its return. I even prayed that the culprit would feel remorse and return it to us - all things are possible right?!? But so far, I am unable to report that it has been returned, and therefore am without what I was planning/hoping to write about today.

So what shall I write about? Two small things:

The first is a question that my son asked me. He asked if God had a wife. I realize that I could have sat him down and discussed the fact that we, the church, are God's bride, but I didn't. Instead, I replied that He didn't have a wife, one woman to love, because He loves us all. My son thought about it and replied: "He doesn't need a wife, because He is our father." Although this isn't the most logical of sentences, I told him he was right. What my son was trying to say was that God doesn't focus His love on one person, but rather on us all. I was happy to conclude our conversation this way, with my son knowing that God is his father and he is loved very much by Him.

The second thing is very related to the first. I have a selection of poetry and songs written on the walls of my house. One of them is a verse from my favourite hymn. Just yesterday my son asked me to read it to him. I told him it is about God and how much love He has for us. It is a beautiful verse steeped with rich imagery that speaks to my heart whenever I read it or sing it in church. I shall close today with the verse.

Could we with ink, the ocean fill,
and were the skies of parchment made;
were every stalk on earth a quill,
and every man a scribe by trade;
to write the love of God above
would drain the ocean dry;
nor could the scroll contain the whole,
tho' stretched from sky to sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment